Ocean and Coastal Observations
- Acquisition and analysis of oceanographic observations
- Development of new instruments and deployment strategies
- Data management
- Detect rapid changes and episodic events, as well as long-term changes in the climate system
- Identify physics and parameterizations that will improve weather forecasting and climate models
- Evaluate the accuracy of satellite products and model output
Scientists deploy moored buoys in the tropics and other locations to create global observation systems. Efforts include measuring air-sea exchanges of energy and moisture in real time, communicating these to the world research community, and analyzing and modeling the effects of changes in the oceans on global climate.