Joseph A. Resing
PhD, Chemical Oceanography, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, 1997
MS, Chemical Oceanography, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1992
BS, Chemistry, DePaul University, Chicago Illinois, 1987
Office: Bldg 3, Rm 1046, NOAA Sandpoint
Fax: (206) 526--6054
My research is aimed at understanding the trace element geochemistry of the oceans. My primary focus is on understanding the impact of submarine volcanism and hydrothermal activity on the chemistry of the oceans. My second focus is on examining the trace element chemistry of the surface oceans to understand the biogeochemical impacts of this distribution. These two foci merge in areas where the summits of active submarine volcanoes reach the surface ocean.
Current Research Projects
- Geologic and Geophysical Controls on the Distribution of Hydrothermal Activity in the Lau Basin
- Exploring Western Pacific Submarine Arc Volcanoes as a part of the Submarine Ring of Fire project
- Global Ocean Survey of Dissolved Iron and Aluminum and Aerosol Iron and Aluminum Solubility during the CLIVAR Repeat Hydrography Project
- Hydrothermal System Response to Magma Supply and Crustal Thickness Gradients Along the Galapagos Spreading Center, 89.5-94W
- Understanding the origin of Iron in the Equatorial Undercurrent
Resing, J.A., Baker, E.T., Lupton, J.E., Walker, S.L. G. T. Lebon, G. J. Massoth, K. Nakamura (2008), The Chemistry of Hydrothermal Plumes Above Active Submarine Volcanoes of the Mariana Arc, Submitted to JGR.
Resing, J.A., G. Lebon, E. T. Baker, J. E. Lupton, R. W. Embley, G. J. Massoth, W.W. Chadwick, Jr., C.E.J. de Ronde (2007), Venting of acid-sulfate fluids in a high-sulfidation setting at NW Rota-1 submarine volcano on the Mariana Arc, Economic Geology, 102, no.6, 1047-1061.
Buck, C. S.,W. M. Landing, J.A. Resing, G. T. Lebon. 2006. Aerosol Iron and Aluminum Solubility in the Northwest Pacific Ocean: Results from the 2002 IOC Cruise. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. 7, No. 4, doi:10.1029/2005GC000977.
Resing, J.A., J.E. Lupton, R.A. Feely, M.D. Lilley Â (2004), CO2 and 3He in hydrothermal plumes: Implications for Mid-Ocean Ridge CO2 flux, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 226, 449-464, DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2004.07.028.
Resing, J.A. and F.J. Sansone. (2002), The chemistry of lava-seawater interactions II: The elemental signature. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 66, no.11, 1925-1941
Affiliate Assistant Professor - School of Oceanography, University of Washington