Important guidelines: Remember to always maintain confidentiality with regard to HR matters, and to exercise fair and equal treatment to each member of your group.
- Supervisory Training-- Complete UW Strategic Leadership training and be familiar with the UW regulations governing UW/JISAO employees. UW/JISAO is responsible, accountable and liable for all actions and decisions taken for all UW/JISAO personnel. Learn UW policies regarding staff, or where to get relevant information (Mary Smith-JISAO), Maria Card (HR).
- Overall supervision --Take the lead in managing the UW/JISAO employees you are supervising, keeping the NOAA group leader informed of work progress, performance issues, problems, improvement plans, etc. Consider feedback from the NOAA leader(s) regarding JISAO employee(s) but make your own decisions regarding any action(s) to be taken in collaboration with JISAO administration.
- Advocacy-- Serve as employee advocate, providing information and resources, facilitating staff development opportunities, trainings, and conference attendance/participation. Serve as liaison between JISAO employee, NOAA and/or UW.
- Approval authority-- Approve timesheets, annual leave, and, in consultation with NOAA or UW budget authority, approve travel, purchasing, overtime and comp time.
- Accountability-- Ensure employee accountability by being consistently aware of employee work assignments, productivity, etc., in collaboration with NOAA or UW group leaders.
- Job performance issues-- Conduct performance reviews, soliciting feedback from NOAA or UW group leaders; manage performance problems as necessary. Assist with performance improvement plans and disciplinary procedures when required, in collaboration with JISAO administration.
- Promotions/salary increases-- Initiate process for needed promotions and/or salary increases (in collaboration with NOAA or UW group leaders and JISAO administration). Complete necessary forms and manage process with JISAO assistant director.
- Hiring-- Serve as hiring representative for JISAO, writing job descriptions, job ads, completing job request forms, etc., in collaboration with JISAO assistant director.
- Health and safety-- Ensure that supervisees are aware of JISAO’s health and safety plans (one for those at UW and one for those at NOAA) and how to find them online - Emergency Preparedness and Safety. Employees can print them, or ask Collen for copies. In addition, ensure that all supervisees understand the UW Online Accident/Incident Reporting (OARS) system. Whenever any employee has an accident/incident or becomes ill during the course of their work, either at their regular station or in the field, it is required that an OARS report be submitted. There are several reasons for this, but the major one is so that the state Worker’s Compensation insurance covers medical costs.
- Information resource-- Contact Mary Smith whenever you have HR-related questions.
- Obtain a Contribution Number
- Human Resources
- Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- Travel and Cruise Policies
- Grant Information
- Photo Galleries